// Family Responsibility Day
Teachers may be granted one day’s leave with pay for family responsibility. Requests must be submitted in advance, before the end of the school year.
The following are the guidelines agreed upon by the parties re the operational requirements of Article 32.07.
Article 32.07: “Effective September 1, 2014, a teacher while employed as a full-time teacher in the public schools of New Brunswick may be granted one (1) day’s leave with pay per school year for family responsibility
- This leave is for the use of all schedule “B” full-time teachers (1.0 FTE).
- Teachers who are on a deferred leave or preretirement leave can access this as long as they are a 1.0 FTE B teacher.
- Teachers are entitled to one full day or two half days per year.
- Leave under this Article does not accumulate if not used during a particular school year.
- Teachers are not permitted to take this leave on days where Professional Development has been planned or Parent Teacher Interviews have been scheduled.
- Leave under this Article is not to be used to extend a vacation or holiday period; however it can be used following a leave with or without pay. Leave without pay remains at the discretion of the Employer.
- Whenever possible, teachers should give at least three days’ notice when requesting this leave.
- The Employer will exercise discretion in deciding who is approved if a number of teachers in the same school request the same day.
We would also like to remind teachers not to make any reservations/plans until the approval is given by the school district to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
NOTE: Teachers on leave as per Article 32.07 on a day where the school is closed as per Article 16.02(a) (inclement weather) will be considered as having used their day for that year.
For other questions related to this subject, please contact the NBTF staff officer assigned to your district at 1-888-679-7044.
// Evaluation of the Educational Leave Program
The Joint Educational Leave Committee is currently undertaking an evaluation of the Provincial Educational Leave Program and are inviting members to complete a short survey before April 9.
The results and comments received could potentially be used to improve the program during the upcoming negotiations of the collective agreement, which will begin in a few months.
Please take a few minutes to complete the survey!
// D Contract Teachers and Maternity Leave
Pregnant teachers holding a D contract are entitled to the maternity benefits provided under Article 33(A) of the Collective Agreement. However, to have access to the 30 days paid by the employer, the teacher must submit her maternity leave prior to the end of her contract.
The teacher will still have the right to apply for a contract the following school year and could regain the recall rights at the expiration of that new contract.
For more information on maternity, adoption or parental leaves, please click here.
// Open Enrolment for Long-Term Disability Plan
60-Day Open Enrolment – If you are not currently enrolled in the LTD plan, you are to enroll in the plan without providing medical evidence from March 1 to April 30, 2021. This allows members who previously opted out of the LTD plan with a pre-existing medical condition the opportunity to re-enroll. Premium deductions will commence in May and your coverage will commence June 1, 2021.
Open Enrolment Limitations – If you have a pre-existing medical condition for which you have had any medical intervention during the period of December 1, 2020, to June 1, 2021, you will not be able to make a claim for this medical condition for a period of 24 months.
Please complete the Enrolment Form below and send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information regarding the change to the long-term disability plan, please click here.